Florida is known for its sunny beaches, warm climate, and booming tourism industry. But, it’s also a haven for beer-lovers. With over 300 breweries spread throughout the state, Florida has become one of the go-to destinations for craft beer enthusiasts from around the world.
Our list of the ten best beers in Florida, excluding sours, highlights some of the most quintessential flavors that the state has to offer.
1. Jai Alai IPA by Cigar City Brewing Jai Alai is perhaps the most recognizable beer from the Cigar City Brewing craft house. This flagship brew is an American-style India Pale Ale that’s characterized by its amber color, citrus aroma, and distinct bitterness. The beer is named after the traditional Basque sport of the same name that was once played in Florida.
2. Caramel Cream Ale by Swamp Head Brewery Swamp Head Brewery is located in Gainesville, and their most famous beer is the Caramel Cream Ale. It is a medium-bodied, lightly hopped beer that boasts subtle notes of vanilla and caramel, making it highly drinkable even during the hot summer months. It has won numerous awards, including the Gold Medal at the 2016 Best Florida Beer Championships.
3. Toasted Coconut Porter by Due South Brewing Co. Due South Brewing Co. is based in Boynton Beach, and their Toasted Coconut Porter is a customer favorite. It is a medium-bodied brew that has a deep brown hue with a tan head. This beer has a smooth finish, thanks to the infusion of caramel malt, chocolate malt, and toasted coconut.
4. Hop Gun IPA by Funky Buddha Brewery The Hop Gun IPA is a staple in the Funky Buddha Brewery lineup, and for good reason. The beer features a light malt profile that plays host to citrusy hops, creating a well-balanced, flavorful IPA. It’s a good introduction to IPAs for those who may not be used to this type of beer.
5. Key West Sunset Ale by Florida Beer Company The Key West Sunset Ale, from the Florida Beer Company, features a unique combination of caramel and roasted barley malt. This creates a beer that’s rich in taste and can be enjoyed at any time of the day. It has a reddish-brown color, and a medium-bodied texture that makes it easy to drink.
6. Big Rod Ale by Islamorada Beer Company Islamorada Beer Company is known for creating beers that reflect the laid-back lifestyle of the Florida Keys, and Big Rod Ale is no different. It has a crisp and refreshing taste with a sweet, malt-forward profile. This beer is perfect for those looking for a lighter, more sessionable option that’s perfect for a day out on the boat or beach.
7. Miami Madness by The Tank Brewing Co. Miami Madness is a Belgian-style wheat beer that’s brewed with blood orange and coriander. It is a fruity beer with a light body, making it perfect for a day at the beach. This beer won the Silver Medal at the 2017 Best Florida Beer Championships.
8. Duke’s Cold Nose Brown Ale by Bold City Brewery Bold City Brewery in Jacksonville offers Duke’s Cold Nose Brown Ale, a medium-bodied beer with notes of chocolate, caramel, and toffee. This beer offers a smooth finish with a slight hint of hop bitterness, making it a crowd-pleaser for all kinds of beer drinkers.
9. Gandy Dancer Double Red Ale by 7venth Sun Brewery The Gandy Dancer Double Red Ale, from 7venth Sun Brewery, is a full-bodied, red ale with a strong hoppiness. It boasts aromas of pine thanks to the infusion of hops, and has a rich, malty sweetness that finishes off each sip.
10. Maduro Brown Ale by Cigar City Brewing Cigar City Brewing makes a second appearance on our list with Maduro Brown Ale. This beer has a dark brown hue and an aroma of caramel, nuts, and roasted malts. It has a subtle sweetness and finishes with notes of espresso and cocoa.
Florida’s craft beer scene is always brewing with exciting new flavors and styles, and these ten beers capture some of the best beers that the state has to offer outside of the sour genre. Whether you’re a fan of hoppy IPAs, rich brown ales, or light fruit beers, there’s something on this list for every beer-lover to enjoy.